February 27, 2013

PRIVATE EYE MAGAZINE OVER THE YEARS ...


Dear readers, I am participating in Alphabe-Thursday where ‘O’ is for OOPS! – AND THE UK’S PRIVATE EYE MAGAZINE …

Do you like satirical magazines? Private Eye has been making fun of royals, politicians and celebrities for over 50 years. In the age of the viral video and the mirthful meme, its defiantly old-fashioned front cover design is, weirdly, still popular.
It's home to the great, the good and the not so good. Margaret Thatcher made 95 appearances, Queen Elizabeth ll 62 and Saddam Hussein well into double figures.
Here are some of its front covers over the years:

And, finally, “fronted” here by editor, Ian Hislop:

SURPRISED/SHOCKED BY ANY OF THESE FRONT COVERS?
Do tell me! And do check out other *O* posts - Alphabe-Thursday  @ Jenny Matlock,Ruby Tuesday & Rednesday!
And, finally, thank you to all my dear readers who have visited or commented. 
Have a great weekend!
Enjoy and see you next time,
XOXO
LOLA:)

17 comments:

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love satire! Great covers...

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've heard of this one before, but it looks like it would be a fun read.

Granny-Guru said...

Like The Onion. Sometimes you have to step back and realize it's satire.

Unknown said...

I have never heard of this magazine before. What clever covers!

Naperville Now said...

ah yes, satire...the Blair/organic food cover is very funny. will keep an eye out for this pub.

Esther Joy said...

Looks a little like a political take of "The Enquirer". My mother-in-law didn't want to miss an issue! I'd heard of "Private Eye", but hadn't checked it out.

Judie said...

Hmmm, I wonder if China has read this. Hmmm!

FABULOUS! I love satire!!!!!

Eden House News and views said...

I really should buy it

EG CameraGirl said...

It's not good to take oneself too seriously and satire certainly helps. :)

SarahBeth said...

Those are great covers -- I love a little satire!

Jim said...

Hi Nora ~~ Oops is a good "O" word. I did "OH!!!" with the same meaning.

Do you subscribe to the Private Eye? Just wondering how you got that many covers. My second guess is Google, that is probably the most likely.

Lola needs a kis for me, Jim
..

Unknown said...

Oh dear Lola:) This are great covers. Looks like a good fun to read the magazine.

Hugs
Scudds

bichonpawz said...

Hi there Lola and Nora! I have not heard of these covers either...but love satire! xo Jeanne, Chloe and LadyBug

Along These Lines ... said...

Satire is great except it can go over peoples' heads.

Ralph said...

This magazine is not all that outrageous - kinda like The Onion. Good satire is a lot like many stereotypes: there is an element of truth in it...the scene in the White House situation room regarding the OBL attack and the Blair face transplant are priceless. I note that both liberal and conservative sides are mocked. Equal opportunity satire is great!

Liz said...

First time I've seen these covers.

My entries:
Liz (mcn)
Liz (mot)

Jenny said...

Oops is right!

I love your satirical take on the letter "O".

Thanks for sharing your cleverness.

A+