April 23, 2014

EVER HAD A DISH NAMED AFTER YOU?

                                                        Jacaranda is plentiful here at this time of year...








Linked to Alphabe-Thursday where *W* is for Beef *W*ellington (below) & other classic dishes named after people ...



                          Beef Wellington – named after the, er, Duke of Wellington

1. Pêche Melba, invented by Escoffier at the Savoy Hotel in the 1890’s for Australian opera singer Nelly Melba:


2. The Pavlova– named after the ballerina Anna Pavlova


3. Caesar salad – created by Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant who owned restaurants in the USA & Mexico:


4. Charlotte Russe – “Russe” may refer to the chef’s (Marie-Antoine Carême) employer Tsar Alexander while "Charlotte” to George 1V‘s daughter:

5.Frangipane tart – named after a 16th century member of the Italian Frangipani family:

6.Sachertorte – created by confectioner Franz Sacher for Austrian Prinz Wenzel von Metternich in 1832:

7.Beef Stroganoff – named after the, umm, Russian Stroganoff family

8.Tarte Tatin - named after two 19TH century French sisters:

9.Sandwich – named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich who, too busy to stop for a meal, allegedly ordered meat to be brought to him held between two slices of bread:

WHAT'S YOUR CULINARY PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE: EVER HAD A DISH NAMED AFTER YOU?

And, finally, thank you to all our dear readers who visited or commented.

Enjoy!

NORA & LOLA:)

18 comments:

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I name recipes for myself all the time. It's not official, but it's kind of fun.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

I've made several creations of my own, but I've never named them after myself. Love those beautiful purple flowers!

Arija said...

You forgot Tournedos Rossini and the Earl of Sandwich was too busy playing card to stop for a meal. Complaints, complaints, Caesar salad had NO meat except for crispy bacon. Now, is there anything else I can pick on . . hmm . . can't think of anything off hand.
Great idea for a post girls.

Unknown said...

I haven't had a dish named after me. It would be fun to see what its ingredients would be if I did.

betty-NZ said...

If something were to be named after me, it would have to include chocolate!

Eden House News and views said...

I love the wisteria . It was not until I read your full list that I realised how many foods were named after famous people.
Think Wellington and Pavlova would make a perfect meal.

Along These Lines ... said...

Good collection. Although you omitted Red Button’s favorite, chicken cacciatore - named after a famous baseball catcher, Joe Torre :)

Cristina Pop said...

I never really thought about naming a recipe after me. But that`s a good idea!

fredamans said...

That really is a beautiful plant and flower!

Anonymous said...

Sigh - gorgeous jacaranda!

Betty said...

I'm afraid I've never had a recipe named after me. I guess I could try and claim Apple Brown Betty. :)

I put something on my blog too about Google+. I don't want to be forced to join Google+ in order to leave comments, but I do feel bad when I can't comment.

Unknown said...

Wow. I love the purple flowers. They are so pretty.

carol l mckenna said...

Great choice for W ~ yummy looking photos ~ Happy Week to you ~ xoxo

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Jen said...

I love those purple blooms. My favorite color. And the Earl of Sandwich was a genius.

Pam Beers. said...

In answer to your first question..."yes", my last name is BEERS

Dominique Goh said...

Interesting facts..didn't know that so many dishes were named after famous people.

Anonymous said...

The Frangipane Tart looks delicious! (haven't tasted this one yet!)

Annesphamily said...

I love this piece! The stroganoff made me smile. Many years ago my friend Dawn gave me her recipe and I have used it over 31 years now! I call it Dawn's Frugal Beef Stroganoff! LOoe your shares.