November 6, 2013

YORKSHIRE ...

Swaledale, Yorkshire


Dear readers, this week, Y is for *Y*orkshire, England ...

And Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2014 guide rates Yorkshire third-best region in the world: 

“This rough-around-the-edges gentleman of the north has kicked away the walking cane. Bradford has become the world’s first Unesco City of Film, fashion-thirsty Leeds has cut the ribbon on an ambitious retail development, the new state-of-the-art Hepworth gallery in Wakefield (below) is giving London a run for its money and Yorkshire now has more Michelin-starred restaurants than any other county outside London.”

As for the city of York, this was founded by the Romans under the name of Eboracum in AD 71. It became the capital of the Roman province of Britannia Inferior, and later of the kingdoms of Northumbria and Jorvik. In the Middle Ages, York grew as a major wool trading centre and became the capital of the northern ecclesiastical province of the Church of England, a role it has retained. Here are some images of the city:

York Minster (closeup, above - and below)


An aerial view of the city:
and its location within the UK:

The medieval Micklegate or “Great Street” from Old Norse gata or street


13th century City walls


Different shots of the River Ouse




Renowned medieval street, The Shambles


and equally famous Swinegate

The Jorvik Viking Centre, a museum and visitor attraction, created by the York Archaeological Trust in 1984.

and finally Barley Hall, off Stonegate, a reconstructed medieval townhouse, originally built around 1360 by the monks of Nostell Priory and later extended in the 15th century:

Finally, on a completely different note, many thanks to all of you who’ve purchased my novels, The De Clerambault Code , Soul Stealer and Retribution which I wrote about here three weeks ago. And helping The De Clerambault Code, at the time of writing, reach the top 80 eBook thrillers on Amazon!  


And, finally, thank you to all my dear readers who visited or commented.
Enjoy!
XOXO NORA & LOLA:)


27 comments:

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I must just take the time and go there! I need to just make a plan and do it!!!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'd LOVE to explore Yorkshire. Maybe I will some day. :)

Eden House News and views said...

Yorkshire is definitely special. My daughter lives there so we get to visit often

lissa said...

looks like a nice place to visit.

great Y post. hope you have a goo day.

Along These Lines ... said...

Yorkshire Pudding and roast beef!

onesugarplease said...

*Waves hello* its been so long! I've only ever been to Halifax but hope to one day to see more of Yorkshire

onesugarplease said...

*waves hello* it's been so long! I've only been to Halifax but hope to see more of Yorkshire some day

fredamans said...

All I can think of is Yorkshire puddings... omg so hungry now!!!

Lmkazmierczak said...

Thanks for sharing interesting info♪ And thanks for dropping by my blog♥

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful! I'd love to visit one day.

Our photos said...

Beautiful are your photos!
Have a nice sunday! RW & SK

Arija said...

Another of your splendid historical posts, so enjoyable. I've always had a'thing' about Yorkshire or was it Dickie Bird's commentary?

Carletta said...

What a lovely tour of the sights!
Thank you for coming by Round The Bend. :)

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely photos and wonderfully informative post about Yorkshire ~ (where my little yorkie breed originated from) ~ Happy Week to you ~ carol, xxx

Valerie said...

A great collection there Nora - I particularly like the 13th Century city walls; great composition. Have a great week!

Laura said...

Wonderful images! Thanks for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro!

betty-NZ said...

Wow! I would love to see this for myself some day! I love the old architecture and textures.

Anonymous said...

I can certainly see why it's made it into the top places to visit.

namaki said...

a nice article ...

Gillena Cox said...

nice photos; have a good Tuesday

much love...

Gillena Cox said...

nice photos; have a good Tuesday

much love...

Gillena Cox said...

have a nice Tuesday

much love...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shots of Yorkshire! That's where my Dad comes from.

Indrani said...

Grand sights from the place! I hope you will be able to visit some day!

Jenny said...

Yowser!

I so want to visit there.

A few life events are happening that might make it become reality next year!

Thanks for linking.

A+

Splendid Little Stars said...

These are wonderful! I feel inspired to visit! At least I can through your fabulous photos!

Annesphamily said...

A terrific tour! Amazing! Your photos are always so fabulous! Thank you for sharing!